Sweden is divided into 290 municipalities. Swedish municipalities have a great autonomy and the way they are organized differ in various ways. Municipalities are bound by law to provide certain services, while other areas are covered on a voluntary basis.
The Municipality´s mandatory assignments:
- Social welfare (community care services for the elderly and disabled as well as personal and family counselling services)
- Pre-school, comprehensive and upper-secondary education.
- Planning and construction.
- Environmental health services.
- Garbage collection and disposal.
- Water and sewage system.
- Emergency and rescue services.
- Civil defence.
- Library services.
- Leisure, recreation and cultural services.
- Public works.
- Energy supply.
- Maintenance of municipal highways.
Joint mandatory assignments for municipalities and the County Council:
- Regional and local public transport.